Slowpitch League Rules
Scrap Yard Softball League Rules
- Exceptions to ASA Rules
- Mercy Rule
- Extra Inning Rules
- Home Run Rule
- Walk Rule
- Bat Policy
- Softball Requirments
- Umpires & Staff
- Playoff Seeding
- Player Eligibility
- Park Rules
- League Cancellation/Rainout
Scrap Yard will follow ASA rules (to view ASA rules here) with the following exceptions:
- 10 players (at least 4 females…max of 6 males) in the field at all time. All players must be 18 years of age to be eligible to play.
- There must but AT LEAST 1 female in the outfield at all times.
- A team will be allowed to play with a minimum of 8 players (at least 2 females).
- If only 2 women are present at game time, they must bat twice in the first 10 batters. If a team has less than the minimum required number of players it is up to the opponent, umpire and/or Scrap Yard staff member as to what is allowable.
- Teams MUST have 1-Male and 1-Female pitching or catching.
- During the regular season, teams are allowed to pick up subs to avoid a forfeit, however, no team can consist of any more than 4 players from another registered team unless allowed by opposing captain.
- Game length is 55 minutes. Should a team not have enough players to start a game, the clock will start and that team has until 50 minutes left on the game clock to field the minimum number of players.
- All batters will start with a 1 ball / 1 strike count. After your 2nd strike , you will have a "free foul "/courtesy foul.
- A legal pitch must have an arc of (6′- 10′) by the pitcher. Any pitch that is not deemed legal will be an automatic ball.
- Fake tags are not allowed.
- In Co-Ed play, when a batter (male or female) hits a fair ball to the outfield, the first play from the outfield may not be on the batter-runner at first base. Should an outfielder attempt to put out the batter-runner at first base as the first play from the outfield, the batter-runner will not be called out and the defense will be given a warning of the rule violation. All subsequent violations of this rule will result in the batter-runner NOT being called out AND being awarded 2nd base.
- There is no MAX to the # of male or female batters as long as the team keeps the same guy/girl order. Players may substitute freely throughout the game in the field. Only 1 male & 1 female courtesy runner allowed per inning. The courtesy runner must be the same sex but can be anyone in the lineup.
- If in a rare circumstance a game is stopped early due to weather it’s an official game if at least 35 minutes have elapsed or 4 full innings have been completed. If either of these scenarios applies the contest will count and the game will not be made up.
- Men’s & women’s balls will be used. A female has the option to which ball she wants to hit.
- Swinging bunts will not be allowed. Swinging at/hitting a ball in a manner to intentionally tap the ball slowly into fair territory will result in a dead-ball out.
- 12 runs after 4 innings and 10 after 5.
EXTRA INNING RULES:
- During the regular season if the game is tied after 7 innings or the game clock runs out, the count will go to a 3-2 – 1 pitch only.
HOME RUN RULE:
- Men — 1+1up
- Women – Unlimited Home Runs
- All teams must make an effort to retrieve balls hit for home runs during their game.
- A walk to a male batter will result in a two base award & the next female batter shall bat. If there are NO outs, or one out the next female batter MUST BAT. With two outs, the next female batter has the option to walk or bat.
- Official USSSA/ASA softball bats ONLY — Not to exceed 1.20 BPF. No Senior bats are allowed in league play.
Balls must be supplied by the participating teams
- Men’s Ball: IncrediBall – 12in.
- Women’s Ball: .52 Core – 12 in.
UMPIRES & STAFF:
- An umpire will be provided by Scrap Yard to supervise the game. It will be the umpire’s responsibility to coordinate and run the games, which include the following tasks:
- Starting games on time.
- Calling outs, making final calls on any disputed balls or strikes.
- Settling all disputes or disputed calls.
- It is understood that umps will assist in the tracking of the score (i.e. announcing it between innings) and assist in any discrepancies with regards to the coed line-up ratios. However, it is the responsibility of both teams to maintain their respective line-ups and scores each inning.
- To coordinate and run the league, our refs and/or staff will be available at all times to help the league run as smoothly as possible. If you have questions regarding schedules, policies, rule interpretations, directions to the concession stand, etc. please ask.
- If your team forfeits a game during the season, the following rules apply:
- First Offense: Loss of game and warning issued.
- Second Offense: Loss of game and staff reserves the right to remove team from playoffs.
- Third Offense: Removal from the league.
- If you know in advance that your team is going to forfeit a game, we encourage you to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to help us schedule your opponent a game.
- Teams have until 10 minutes past the designated start time to field a full squad (minimum numbers of players required to play according to the rules). Refer to rules regarding guy/girl batting ratio. Anything less then the minimum must be approved by the Scrap Yard staff and opposing team.
The updated standings will be posted weekly, displaying each teams rank. Rank is based on winning percentage.
- All eligible teams make the playoffs (teams that have not abused any policies are eligible). Playoff rosters must be complete by the third week of regular play. (Players will only be added after the third week for the purposes of a substitution due to an injury or other extreme circumstances as deemed acceptable by Scrap Yard staff.) Players are allowed on ONE roster for PLAYOFFS.
- Playoffs are single elimination.
- Teams are seeded according to winning percentage.
- Teams may play more than one game per day.
- Any questions regarding rules, policies, or eligibility must be addressed before the start of the game.
In order to participate in the league, each participant must sign the team waiver. Waivers are provided and must be completed and handed in no later than the 3rd week of play. Players not present the first week of play will still be required to sign a waiver with our staff before participating. In order to be eligible for playoffs, players must have played at least 1 REGULAR SEASON WEEK GAME. Any team not submitting a roster/waiver will be ineligible for playoffs. Any player additions after the 3rd week must be approved by Scrap Yard.
Players are allowed on ONE roster for PLAYOFFS. If an opposing player’s eligibility is in question, a formal protest may be filed by the end of the 2nd inning or whenever the player in question enters play. The player in question will be required to provide his/her player information (name, address, phone #, signature) in writing to a Scrap Yard staff member prior to the start of the game. This qualifies as an official protest. The player will be checked against the team roster. Teams will be notified of all rulings on the identified eligibility discrepancy immediately. If the protest is proven to be legitimate, it will result in the ejection of the illegal player. The above procedure will also apply for any other “logged” protests. All rulings by Scrap Yard staff are considered final. Waivers and Rosters will be used as acceptable player-team identification during playoffs, all participants must present ID’s during the playoff tournament in the event of a roster check. All roster check requests must be made before the first pitch.
The idea of Scrap Yard Sports Softball League is to have fun. We hope that all participants keep that in mind when becoming involved. Although the games may become intense, you still can be competitive while maintaining good sportsmanship. With this said, any behavior deemed unacceptable by staff may result in suspension and/or ejection from a game or the league.
Please be mindful of the children practices that are occurring around at the other fields during the league and the houses that surround the facility. All music should be “clean” and at a controlled volume. If two teams have music – the team hitting will have music playing then switch as the game goes on. If it becomes a problem the umpire has full discretion to eliminate all music for the remainder of the game.
All park rules can be referred to on HERE. There is a strict no outside alcohol policy due to having our license and will be enforced. Beer will be sold inside concessions for all league games.
LEAGUE CANCELLATION / RAINOUT:
Leagues may be cancelled due to existing weather conditions, dangerous or unplayable field conditions, facility constraints, etc. Scrap Yard staff makes every effort to play all scheduled games, thus we will not cancel games until absolutely necessary. Therefore, if you are calling concerning a decision on a cancellation, remember we will not have an answer until close to the start of the league. If the league is cancelled, Scrap Yard staff will change the rain-out voicemail immediately and e-mail all of the captains. If a league is cancelled on site, Scrap Yard staff will attempt to contact those teams still scheduled to play the remainder of the league night. Depending on the time of cancellation, some teams will have to be notified on site. If we do cancel, follow next week’s schedule (ex. If April 13 is cancelled teams should follow the April 20 schedule for their next game). The games that are cancelled will be made up at the end of the season if time allows.
*These policies are designed to make the league run as smoothly and safely as possible, and provide continuity for its participants. Each player in the league is responsible for this information: please advise your team of these rules and thanks for playing with Scrap Yard Sports!*
If you have any further questions please email us at email@example.com